Friday 27 July 2012

WHAT’s In My Name??





In a crowded Mumbai street, shout ‘NEHA’ aloud and you realize at least half a dozen girls turn around. Yes, Yes! Neha is a very common name in India. About 2 decades ago this was such a favorite pick that, every family had one girl named NEHA. It’s almost 23 years I have been living with this name. Whatever the world feels about this name, it’s mine and I am bound to love it.

Your name is your identity but sharing it with someone else can be quite annoying at times. Moreover, for a person like me who feels so high about herself it comes as a big huddle. On my first day in primary school, I was surprised to know that there were almost 7 Neha’s in my class. I was so different than them yet I felt my name left no place for me to standout.  

With time I became immune to the commonness of my name.  Surprisingly, whenever I ask who choose this name for me, I get different replies from everyone in my family.  It doesn’t matter how this name came up because a lot is hidden behind these four letters. It’s now my identity and after knowing what it means I have always felt positive about it.
 
Let me take this as a privilege to highlight to you what NEHA means. NEHA is a common Indian name that originates from the Sanskritlanguage. In Sanskrit it means love. It also means Varsha i.e. Rain. NEHA is a symbol of love. This name defines someone who loves and is loved. NEHA means affection. I am lovable! Isn’t it? I spread love and happiness all the time. I believe this name has in way shaped up who I am. I don’t quite understand, how I can connect Rains with myself (I hate rains). However I feel the true meaning is a combination of both: 'NEHA is the Rain of Love'.
Historians believe the true meaning of NEHA is of Japanese origin and means rich rusty trombone. Maybe that’s the reason why I am so inclined towards learning music, musical instruments and listening to music.
 
 
Few facts about the name NEHA and how strongly I relate to them.
  •  It’s believed that, people with the name Neha have a deep inner desire for a stable, loving family or community, and a need to work with others and to be appreciated.True: For my calm heart I need stability. By the way, I crave for appreciation too. ;)
  •  People with the name Neha tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities.Very True: I hate being a follower. I like to take the lead everywhere.
  • They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.True:  yes these negative traits are very much a part of me.
 
I am sure most of you are excited to research about your name. Remember, everything works for you until mind starts questioning the beliefs.

 

9 comments:

  1. I never had a doubt about my name, there are just very few Aman's in this world :) . Kidding! Neha is indeed a sweet name, no kidding!

    Aman....

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEHA = love,care,courage,affection,inspiring person and d one who leads from front.
    Truely,u possess all d qualities as mentioned above..glad to hv a friend like u..cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neha, good research on our name "NEHA" ;) .. I knew about the Sanskrit meaning but had no idea about its Japanese origin. You are right, we Neha's are always a little stubborn for our nature. Its what defines us. Good post :)

    P.S: I'm borrowing this post's picture. Hope you don't mind. Cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neha.
      Tried my best to gather as much information as I could.

      You can surely take the picture :)

      Delete
  4. I agree that Neha is a common name , but its a nice name. I know around some 15 Neha's in my life and all the Neha's are too good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same goes with Deepti

    ReplyDelete